January 14, my grandfather’s birthday, is a great time to review recent Dos Passos news and ongoing projects. Happy New Year and Happy Birthday John Dos Passos!
- On December 24, 2013, Houghton Mifflin Harcourt published the first Amazon Kindle versions of the three individual volumes of John Dos Passos‘s U.S.A.
- Washington Independent Review of Books published an essay of mine on my grandfather’s wonderful memoirs–The Best Times (http://www.washingtonindependentreviewofbooks.com/features/the-best-times). We are still working to return the memoirs to print. That means finding an interested publisher.
- International Policy Digest published a short essay of mine on my grandfather’s relationship with Ernest Hemingway and Dos’s affinity for the French language.
- I’ve begun an oral history project on John Dos Passos. I’m conducting interviews with men and women who knew him as an elder. It’s vital to capture this relatively small remainder of living memories now. The research may evolve into a book.
- Time Zone Productions in Madrid, Spain, continues its production of a documentary on Dos Passos‘s role in the Spanish Civil War.